How to get a USI
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online. To obtain your USI or for more information, visit usi.gov.au
What is a USI?
From 1 January 2015 if you are undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes studying with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course.
A USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters. It will look something like this: 3AW88YH9U5.
A USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016.
Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked and you will be able to:
- view and update your details in your USI account;
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript;
- control access to your transcript; and
- view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
Do you need a USI? YES!
You will need a USI when you enrol or re-enrol in training from 1 January 2015 if you are a:
- student enrolling in nationally recognised training for the first time, for example if you are studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course;
- school student completing nationally recognised training; or
- student continuing with nationally recognised training.
- You are a continuing student if you are a student who has already started your course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and will continue studying after 1 January 2015.